Cyber Monday has come & gone but seasoned online shoppers know that the deals will be flying hot & heavy throughout the rest of the holiday season. I figured I’d put together a quick list of tips & sites I use regularly to help me save time & bundles of cash shopping online the FIOS way.
1. Make sure you are using anti-virus, malware protection on your computer, tablet or smartphone. There are many excellent programs you can get for free such as Malwarebytes Microsoft Security Essentials & Lookout Security for android devices.
2. Get virtual credit card numbers if you can, many banks & credit card companies offer temporary card numbers that will protect your real card info. NEVER store credit card info at online stores, even big sites are vulnerable to database hacks so better safe than sorry.
3. Sign up to get email from your favorite stores, if you worry about getting too much spam you can create folders or filters to sort these messages. Some deals are offered exclusively for customers on the store’s email list, so don’t miss out.
4. Consider creating accounts at various online stores in advance, many deals sell out in the blink of an eye, having an account already set up can mean the difference between snagging a great bargain.. or not. Here’s a list of some of the best online password managers to help you keep those store accounts safe & organized
5. Check out a few sites to help you save money, two of my favorites are Fatwallet which offers discount coupons & a cash back program along with various deal discussion forums. Slickdeals is another popular online shopping community. Ebates is another excellent site to obtain discount coupons, rewards & cash back when you shop. Also excellent is the Verizon Visual 411 app for android! get business phone numbers, addresses, maps, directions, coupons & special DoubleTakeDeals !
6. Choose your credit card wisely! Many cards offer rewards for shopping, other cards offer various amounts of buyer protection on purchases which can be really important if you’re considering a gift like a computer, tablet or smartphone this holiday season.
7. Make lists of items you are considering purchasing, I use Sweet Relish to organize & share items I’m interested in buying with my family & friends. Amazon’s Wish list feature is another favorite . Both services are free & I get great ideas from checking the lists my loved ones create.
8. Get a general idea of what the items you want normally sell for. Be sure to factor shipping costs into your calculations, that low price might not be so great if you get hit with a huge shipping bill.
9. Read reviews of products you are considering. This is critically important when it comes to tech purchases that can cost big dollars. A couple of my favorite tech review sites are AnandTech which also features a tech forum community, The OnlineMom which offers sound, easy to understand tech advice to parents & The Verizon Community forums, the place to connect, share ideas & get solutions for all things FIOS.
10. Internet speed, If you’ve ever sat at your computer, clutching your mouse only to miss out on a lightening deal you know that a fast internet connection can mean the difference between getting or not getting that terrific bargain. Verizon FIOS subscribers are spoiled with the fastest, smoothest Internet speeds going! No worries about lag because your neighbors decided to all hop onto the web while you are trying to score a shopping deal.
Speaking of deals Verizon FIOS has bundle deals happening right now get blistering Internet speeds without emptying your wallet. And yes, once you get FIOS, you do get it all!
So what shopping deals or you still hunting for this holiday season? Let me know, we can bargain hunt together!
Disclaimer here: I receive compensation for select Verizon FIOS activities but all opinions expressed here are my own. Other sites mentioned in this post are provided as a courtesy to my readers.